Thursday, February 15, 2007

Romantic friends

Ok, now I’ve gone private and all that, I feel it’s time to give you a true insight in to what the dealio is with regards to my love life…

Yesterday was of course Valentine’s day. It was bound to be a strange one, I was trying to work out the ratio of single V days to ones where I’ve been with some one, and the single ones amount to hardly any and they were when I was younger so they weren’t really as significant. So yesterday I woke up, feeling a little odd, and sent DL a text message saying I hope she was ok and that I was thinking of her. I didn’t get a response, but then later in the day a dozen red roses were delivered from her. I honestly don’t know how I feel about that, it’s lovely to know she still cares, but it was quite surreal getting flowers from an ex. Then I started to feel bad because I hadn’t sent her anything, but then was like, ‘well why should I? We aren’t together anymore’. Then I got a bunch of emails from her with different letters she’d written to me over the course of the relationship, she sent them apparently to make sure I had them to keep. So I spoke to her briefly on skype to thank her, and she started getting emotional and upset so we ended the conversation. All in all she’s doing reasonably well, but yesterday put her back a bit I think. I’m hoping it’s just a temporary blip though and she’ll continue to move forward…

What did make the day better, or should I say who, was my sexy southern lover, SSL. I’m sure it doesn’t take a lot of working out to figure out who I’m talking about, but the truth is we’ve gotten very close recently and we’re, I guess what one might call romantic friends. Anyway I received a card and phone calls from her which was lovely, and it’s only 35 days until we get to spend some time together in person rather than on the phone. The situation at the moment with me is that I’m really not looking for anything serious, but it’s lovely to be able to connect with some one the way SSL and I do, with no promises or ties, and a good solid friendship underneath that we can fall back on if things go askew romantically. Plus she drives me crazy with desire which is lovely to experience again. I guess I just feel disillusioned in terms of relationships right now, I’m still getting over the last one and some fun and friendship is where I’m at right now.

I’ve also moved on in the physical sense, this being with the woman I met at the club a few weeks ago. We’ve seen each other maybe five or six times in total, and we have a casual, no strings arrangement going on which is wonderful. She comes over a couple of times a week, we chat and spend time and have great sex, and we both know where we stand and neither of us want anything more. Like me, she too has recently come out of a serious relationship and so it suits us both just fine. I don’t know much about her, her family, childhood etc, in fact I don’t even know her last name. I do know her age and what she does for a living, and I actually like the air of mystery and the slight anonymity that goes with it all. Right now I’m just living for the present, and enjoying the dirty text messages and booty calls and general spontaneity that goes with being single…

I’m still manically busy, very tired, trying to squeeze lots in to everyday, being late for everything, and you know, I am loving every minute of it. I really do feel genuinely happy at the moment, something which I’ve not been for along time. People keep commenting on my hyperactivity and general zest for life, which is lovely and makes me wonder what I must have been like when I was with DL, especially towards the end of the relationship. So my current motto? Take life by the balls and twist! And if you want something, go out there and get it! And oh my god, it’s only 30 days until I fly to the US!

2 comments:

Trinity2 said...

Hmm, wonder where you got that motto from? ;-) You go, girl!

jromer said...

doesn't sound like your ex is over you at all, sweetheart. every time you reach out to her, you give her the kind of hope you probably don't want to give her. which is unfortunate because i sense from your writing that you really want to be friends and keep her in your life. i know you miss the closeness. do you think though, it is in any way possible to abstain from contact from her for awhile, especially during romantic holidays such as valentine's because...well, you send her into a tailspin...(and yourself too)
i know it's bittersweet. i know you miss her. good luck...i've been the dumper and the dumpee. i know how hard it is on both sides.