Saturday, June 02, 2007

It's all over!

My God, I've actually finished uni. I don't quite know what to do with myself now, I got up this morning and felt a little lost because I didn't have to sit and work all day on essays or reading books that I don't really want to read etc etc. It is lovely to have time to myself though, and once I get used to it I don't think I'll miss it at all.

Yesterday morning I got up feeling sick at the thought of doing the worsed exam of my life in the afternoon. I had just come through to the lounge and was about to put the kettle on when the doorbell rang. Holy fucking christ almighty, it was only my mother, giving me a surprise visit on the worsed day she could have chosen. I couldn't believe it when I opened the door and there she was, my face must have been a picture of horror. Bless her, she thought I would be glad of the company, but it only served to make me even more stressed, because when I was trying to read through my notes for the last time she kept talking to me all the time. Neither of my parents have ever been in higher education and so they can't really grasp what it's like. They just remember their school days and of course it's quite different.

I don't really know how the exam went. I did struggle but everyone I spoke to afterwards said they found it difficult, so who knows. Fingers crossed I get a 2:1, that's all. After the exam was over we all met in the beer garden of a local pub and drank lots and ate good food. It was lovely to see everyone, there were about 8 of us in total, all close friends of mine who i'll miss dreadfully when I move. It's only ten days now and then I'm off, I need to buy some boxes so that I can start packing everything up now that I have the time. This afternoon my mother is coming over again so that we can go clothes shopping. I need to revamp my wardrobe, I've not been shopping in ages and so I really need some new summer clothes, and some dressy stuff to go out in too. It's all very exciting.

I want to try and include a section in my posts devoted to reading. Haven't quite worked out if I can incorperate it in to the template yet, but I'll have a look. I do lots of reading and it struck me the other day that I rarely mention books I happen to be reading. Last week to relieve the stress of revision, I read Triptych, the new novel by Karin Slaughter. If you like crime thrillers it's definitely one to buy, had me on the edge of the sofa and it's definitely not one to read after dark. Very, very good indeed. I've just started Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, which is the second novel by the author who wrote the aclaimed Purple Hibiscus, which I read late last year. This one is set in 1960's Nigeria, and is about the civil war that took place there. It's told from three different viewpoints both before and during the war. It is superbly written with some disturbing scenes, a definite recommendation of mine.

This will hopefully be the start of my comments on various books, and if you've read anything that you feel passionate about and you think people aught to read, please share it in the comments section.

Now I'm off to go and dry my hair, and then hopefully spend lots of money I don't have on some nice new clothes.

No comments: